Mr. Clarkson has an active litigation and transactional practice. Though his clients range from banking institutions to small, family-run enterprises, Mr. Clarkson’s focus is singular: helping his clients navigate whatever legal opportunities or challenges that arise.
In his litigation practice, Mr. Clarkson regularly represents clients in mediation, litigation, arbitration, bankruptcy, and administrative proceedings. Whether the disputes are garden-variety breach of contract cases or nuanced appellate arguments, Mr. Clarkson puts a premium on providing his clients with efficient and effective advocacy. His clients include asset-based lenders, banking institutions, general contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, retailers, real estate developers, and medical professionals.
In his transactional practice, Mr. Clarkson regularly represents clients in every aspect of their business transactions. With his first-hand, litigation-based, knowledge of the potential pitfalls in business relationships, Mr. Clarkson helps his clients avoid future problems by creating clarity in the present. Mr. Clarkson’s transactional experience includes corporate formation, contract review, negotiating and drafting commercial leases, trademark registration, drafting restrictive covenants and general employment agreements, real estate acquisition and development, and providing general counsel services.
Mr. Clarkson has years of first-hand experience as a business owner and employer. This real-world education, coupled with his legal training at some of the best law firms in Arizona, provides a valuable resource to his clients.
Nat Clarkson was born in a small town in Southern Utah and grew up in Mesa, Arizona. His grandparents were dry farmers and ranchers and Mr. Clarkson was raised tending his family’s farm animals. He also spent years on construction sites, working as a foreman in his family-run framing company. Together with his wife—who happens to be a licensed general contractor, master gardener, and florist—and children, Mr. Clarkson keeps busy building, working on their hobby farm, growing cut flowers, and generating just enough produce to keep their pantry stocked as well as their family’s farm stand. Mr. Clarkson believes in the value of hard work, diligence, and respecting the law of the harvest—you reap what you sow.
Mr. Clarkson is fluent in Spanish.
J.D., Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, 2001
B.A., Arizona State University, Barrett Honors College, 1998
Idaho Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
- Successfully litigated a multi-million-dollar fraud claim resulting in litigation in four states six different courts.
- Prosecuted complex lien foreclosure actions for commercial and residential contractors.
- Represented a commercial borrower in overturning a $3,000,000 judgment which had been wrongfully obtained by a lender.
- Represented a developer/general contractor who had been denied insurance coverage and, ultimately, obtaining coverage and successfully defending a complex construction defect lawsuit.
- Successfully enforced creditors’ rights in state, federal, and bankruptcy court, including locating collateral across the country, navigating Chapter 11 workouts, and real estate foreclosures.
- Successfully defended a general contractor against a state agency canceling its contractor’s license as a result of a fraud perpetrated by a third party.
- Negotiated and drafted the documentation for the purchase of a multi-million dollar medical practice.
- Successfully defended a company-wide unpaid wage claim against a subcontractor client.
- Successfully defended products liability lawsuit against a manufacturer and importer of home goods
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Youth Symphony
- Member (string bassist), Serenata Symphony, San Marcos Symphony, Mesa Symphony, ASU Symphony
- Member, City of Eagle Business and Workforce Recovery Committee
Real Estate Transactions
Finance and Lending
Outside General Counsel
Alternative Dispute Resolution